Total Pageviews

Monday, September 20, 2010

Book Meme - Day 30

Day 30 - What book are you reading right now?


So finally, and a little sadly, I come to the end of the Book Meme.  It;s been fun!


I am currently reading The Return of the Dancing Master by Henning Mankell.  I have already mentioned, somewhere, my fondness for the Kurt Wallender books by this author.  According to Wikipedia, this is supposedly part of that series in a loose way, but having almost finished it, I think I can say pretty definitely that the only connections are (a) it's Swedish and (b) one of the minor characters is the brother of one of the murder victims in Sidetracked, the fifth Wallender book.


That's all rather academic, actually, as it is such a good book that I only found myself missing Wallender rather peripherally.  It's fascinating and I thoroughly recommend it.  It;s always hard commenting on the writing style of someone who is translated into English, but I have now read nine of Mankell's books with about four translators between them, and they are all wonderfully written.  I think he may come under the heading of 'genre writers who would never win a ... prize (say Booker Prize, Pulitzer, whatever) because of being a genre writer, but who should because of the quality of their writing'.  My favorite examples are Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine and P.D. James, but he's certainly up there with them.


The book meme has been great fun, and best of all it has got me back into more regular blogging.  I just hope that will continue!

1 comment:

2paw said...

Well I have thoroughly enjoyed your Book Meme. I found some books I hadn't read and I liked reading your opinions and ideas!!