Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Book Meme - Day 27

Day 27 - If a book contains ______, you will always read it (and a book or books that contain it)!


After much thought I have decided that there is no definitive answer to this question, not from me anyway.  There are lots of things that will entice me to think about reading a book, but none of them will be enough if the book sounds dodgy in other ways.  In other words, what I think I mean is that the inclusion of one or more of my favorite topics, etc, does not necessarily guarantee an enjoyable book.


But for a list of the things that are more likely to make me want to read a book:


Magic realism (yes, I know curmudgeonly people say that is the same as fantasy.  I think it is slightly different.  I could draw a Venn diagram but then I would look obsessive and geeky.  Like I usually do).
Apocalyptic fantasy.
Interesting detectives.
Occasionally, really good romance writers.  (There aren't many I like).
Historical fiction - again it has to be really good.
Apparently, Steampunk and Mannerpunk!  
Old-fashioned thrillers (sometimes).
Well-written social history (either in non-fiction or fiction form).
Real crime - which is nearly always badly written (why is that?) but I am a bit obsessed with serial killers.
Psychological mysteries.
Craft books!


&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&am


And as promised, some pics of the book signing with the frabjous Andy Griffiths.  Knitters please note the stitch holder used as punk safety pin on koala.






2 comments:

2paw said...

Andy Griffiths is great, love his books and so did all my classes. I have been lucky enough to meet and listen to both Paul Jennings and Terry Denton as well as Justin D'Ath. I find it easy to find a new book by an author I like, but more difficult to find a new author who writes a book I will like!!

Karen said...

I have to say that the pin on the Koala actually looks quite painful! and thanks for liking me!!