Total Pageviews

Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Meme - Day 23

Day 23 - Most annoying character ever


Widmerpool from A Dance to the Music of Time naturally comes to mind, but he is MEANT to be annoying and he is a valuable theatrical device.


So Steerforth from David Copperfield.  I hate those smarmy charmers who know they can bat their eyelids and everyone, male and female, young and old, will  fall in love them, with fatal consequences.  He is the first I can remember in a book (I read Dickens at a precocious age) and I have met too many of them in real life.


OK, Steerforth is meant to be like that, too, and is also a useful theatrical device.  But I hate him more.

2 comments:

2paw said...

I just love the names Dickens gives his characters. He must have spent quite a lot of his time thinking of them. Uriah Heep!!!

Jackie said...

But Steerforth is evil...a tad more serious than just 'annoying'!