Total Pageviews

Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Meme - Day 25

Ok, so 26 always goes after 24 doesn't it, to be followed by 25.  Whoops!!




Day 25 - Any five books from your "to be read" stack


My 'stack' is more like a mountain range.  This is a selection from the more visible bits near the top.


Jodi Picoult, Songs of the Humpback Whales.  I have read quite a few of her books and enjoy them, though she annoys me with her shameless pushing of buttons - as mentioned in a previous Book Meme post, though I can't remember which one.  It's a bit like chocolate - I know it;s not all that good for me, really, but I keep going back.


Stieg Larsson, The Millenium Trilogy (Ok, that's 3 books, but I will probably read them in one go). Well, everyone is talking about them, and reading them, and they have been recommended by a number of people whose judgement is usually pretty spot on.  If I hate them, the church fete will get them next year.


Hilary Mantel, Beyond Black.  NOT because she won the Booker Prize last year!  I discovered her ages ago.  Over the years I have read her books Fludd (which I desperately wanted to like, but was ambivalent over) and A Place of Greater Safety, about the French Revolution in general, and Danton in particular, which was the most fabulous book I read in that particular year, which must have been 1993 (because it was published then and I know I got it brand spanking new from the library).


George R.R. Martin, The Game of Thrones. Because Baby Bear was given it for Christmas and enjoyed it, and we often swap books.  It is one of those humungous fantasy novels that has sequels to keep people hooked.


John Pilger, Hidden Agendas.  Because I have known of his stuff for many years but never read anything.


This does not necessarily mean I will read these immediately next, but as I said, they are near the top, so who knows?

1 comment:

2paw said...

I started the George RRRRRR Smith books but I am lost somewhere in the middle. I am still to read the Larsson trilogy. Nice mix of books!!