Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Book Meme - Day 6

Day 06 - Favorite book of your favorite series OR your favorite book of all time


AAHH!!! Not an answerable question.  My favorite book of all time changes from day to day, week to week, year to year.


All right, one I do always go back to - The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.  It blew me away when I first read it, and it still does (I have read it another couple of times, at least).  Unfortunately I have managed to lose my copy and must replace it.  The sheer wonderfulness of the imagination - I suppose it's 'magic realism' - haunted and excited me.  It made me laugh and cry and hug myself and want to write like her.  Complete fail at that last one, incidentally!


Ask me next week and I will have another favorite book.  Oh, in recent years I have been hugely impressed by The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and for the last twenty years or so, anything by Peter Carey and Angela Carter.  And in the last couple of years, Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book and Mirrormask by Neil Gaiman.

No comments: