Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Book Meme - Day 15

Day 15 - Your "comfort" book


Any Discworld books by Terry Pratchett.  I have read them all (except for the latest one, which is in the pile of books to be read).  Several of them I have read more than once.  Whenever I feel I cannot cope with the world, I tend to pick up one of them.  Pretty much any one of them, 'cos my favorite characters are sprinkled liberally throughout them.  They certainly aren't simple reads, anything but, but playing around in my mind with all the source materials, etc, for everything in them distracts me from other stuff, and they are just so damn amusing and clever!


I also find the following authors good comfort reading - Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh and Nevil Shute.  While I wouldn't say they are uncomplicated books, they are comforting murder mysteries or comforting thrillers.  They are books I can carry about in my handbag and pick up and read when I have a few moments alone when I am out somewhere.  


***********************************************************


We had a very satisfactory meeting with Wombat's school today.  (We have one every term, with the Special Needs Co-ordinator, his teaching aides and us).  They are so unfailingly helpful and concerned, it is a pleasure to deal with them.  Of course they get impatient and despairing of things sometimes, but then so do we!  Exasperation is a big daily part of dealing with Aspergers Syndrome (from the carers' and teachers' perspectives, and undoubtedly from the Aspie's perspective also).  We are eternally grateful to have found such care and compassion and skill - and all in a state school, a block away from our home!

No comments: