Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Book Meme - Day 9

Day 09 - Best scene ever


That would change regularly, of course, like all of these answers.


But the one I am going to nominate is the one in Northern Lights, the first book of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.  (The book is known in the US as The Golden Compass).  In the alternative universe of these books, people do not have 'souls' but they have 'daemons', which are external, animal-shaped manifestations of 'souls'.  The scene where experiements are being carried out to surgically separate children from their daemons is one of the most powerful and devastating I have ever read.  I cried for an hour after reading that scene.  I felt as though I had had my own heart cut out.


Fantastic trilogy, one of the best fantasy series ever written.  One of the most memorable scenes ever written.


But ask me tomorrow and I might have another answer.

No comments: