Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Book Meme - Day 11

Day 11 - A book that disappointed you


I thought I would have to think really hard about this one.  Then I remembered the one and only time since reaching an approximation of adulthood that I had thrown a book across the room.


That book?  The Dialectic of Sex: The Case for Feminist Revolution by Shulamith Firestone.  I;ve read lots of feminist books, some of them good, some of them not so good, some downright hard to understand, some that made me cringe, and some that made me cheer.  This one was so awful it made me throw the book across the room.


I can't even remember why I hated it so much.  Oh, maybe it was her incredible dismissiveness of the value of mothering, plus her total lack of logic and her general annoyingness.  That's not a very incisive analysis, I realise that, but I;m not going to find the book to check it out any further.  Actually, I couldn't.  I gave it away to charity as soon as I had thrown it across the room (which was after reading all of it, I wouldn;t be THAT rude about a book unless I had finished it).


Other books that ought to be on this sort of list - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (What did I expect of Ayn Rand?  Certainly nothing quite as ludicrous as this huge pile of rubbish) and  Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington (which was made into a good film but I am afraid I found to be totally unreadable).

No comments: