Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Book Meme - Day 12

Day 12 - A book or series of books you’ve read more than five times


Hmm... I expect I have read the Narnia books at least five times.


I know I've read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre at least five times (in the case of P&P, I think it's about 13 times).


I've read Testament of Youth quite a few times, probably at least 5.


I once went through a stage (quite lengthy) of rereading A Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve - that went on for more than 5 years.


And, for frivolity,  Where's My teddy, by Jez Aldborough, was such a huge favorite of my childrens' that I used to be able to recite it.  Likewise with Mr Bear Says A Spoonful for You by Debi Gliori and The Monster Bed by Jeanne Willis.


##########################################################################


Real life gets in the way of things!  We spent the weekend with George's mum while the children were at a church camp nearby.  They got muddy and did scary adventure things, we sat around and chatted and enjoyed ourselves.  The weather was perfect, sunny and crisp with very cold nights. On Saturday afternoon George and I wandered around the countryside, meandering to Mirboo North and having a wonderful lunch at the Grand Ridge Brewery.  Apart from the great staff and the wonderful food, the dining room was full of amazing dining tables made from rough hewn slabs of timber that seated lots of people (we were on a more modest table as there was just the two of us) that epitomise what I would love to have as a dining table one day.


Since returning we all have colds.  Today is the first day this week that everyone is at school and work, and although I should be using the quiet time to do something useful I feel too awful to do anything except pootle around on the computer and, later, slump in front of the TV.  At least I have done LOTS of washing recently, at great cost to the electricity bill as it has been wet ever since our return and everything has had to go through the tumble dryer.


There were storms yesterday and last night throughout Victoria.  We escaped with just lots of rain, which is still sorely needed after years of drought.  But other parts of Melbourne and the state have suffered damage and at least one person has died in a car accident directly related to the weather.  We are fortunately located in a sheltered spot and rarely suffer more than the occasional fallen limb from a tree in storms, though we are sensible and secure things, put the glass-topped outside table under shelter, etc, to minimize possible damage.

No comments: