Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Next Stage of My Life...

So I have survived a week back in the workplace and I feel weird but pleased with myself.  I have made awful and silly mistakes, frozen computer screens (though it turns out that is to do with the antiquated computer system, not me specifically!), got to know people and procedures, and remembered why peak hour transport sucks.

When I accepted the job it was on the basis of 4 days a week (or in every alternate week, 3 full days and 2 half days, to cover a Saturday morning shift).  When I arrived at work for the first day I was asked to work full time during Semester and take the extra time in lieu out of semester.  It will actually work well in the long run - I will get lots more time off when I do get to take time off, but in the meantime I will be working full-time for a 0.8 wage, which is going to feel annoying when I am exhausted and cross!  I also only discovered then that I have to work through three State public holidays, which is a bummer because they are all ones that we spend together doing family things every year.  It;s all going to take quite a lot of getting used to.

Semester One starts tomorrow and I know, from previous experience, that the first couple of weeks of the academic year are hell on wheels, even when you know what you are doing.  So I am planning my first nervous breakdown for, oh, mid-morning tomorrow ...

Time to put the casserole on for tonight.

I should have added that when I get home at night the children have washed and set the table and made a salad so all I have to do cooking wise is pan fry the defrosted meat in a non-stick pan.  And if I need the oven turned on I ask them to do that while I am on my way.  On Tuesday nights in term time I will be working late so they will be cooking for themselves and their dad.  And although I did not specifically ask them to feed the dog, Wombat has taken it upon himself to feed her quite often.  They are good kids!

5 comments:

Timaree said...

I really do not envy you at this point. I hope it works out and you start having fun with your job. Are the kids old enough to take on some of the cooking? My dad taught each of us a couple different meals and that helped a lot.

Taphophile said...

that is challenging. Better they had been upfront about the working conditions. We are (theoretically) able to access purchased leave, which is a bit like what you're doing. If I know I'll need extra leave for whatever reason (often its caring duties, school holidays etc), you can have the cost of that leave deducted from you pay over the year.

mrspao said...

You'll get into a rhythm eventually. It is hard at first to adjust to the new but once you've made a couple of meals to chuck in the freezer to tide you through the hardest weeks you'll start to feel on top of things. Your kids sound fab.

Karen said...

hurray for family support!! I feel for you really I do. Keep on keeping on, I am behind you...

Bear Chick said...

Transitions are always hard but usually worth it. Hang in there! And it's wonderful that you have so much support on the homefront. Happier days are coming!